History of the Estate
Brogård's history stretches back to the Middle Ages when the property functioned as a royal estate, i.e. an estate owned by the king or state power. The largest of the state's agricultural properties were built on these estates, where the common people were obliged to contribute with the day's work and build and maintain houses. The purpose was to supply the court with food and supplies.
1810, the countable Sparre family takes over the property. Erik Josias Sparre became known as a very committed man in various social issues. He was a member of the Riksdag where he constantly advocated for the farmers and devoted a lot of time to developing the railway network in Sweden. In addition to Brogård, he owned the nearby Lejondal and several other estates. Due to many community commitments, the estates soon began to fall into disrepair.
In 1886, daughter Louise Lejondal and son Johan inherited Bro Gård as Johan Sparre became Brogård's last owner from this family.
The count and chamberlain Johan Sparre decided to build a new Corps-de-logi as the old red wooden main building was dilapidated. It was demolished in the 1870s.
In 1888, the current castle was built and given a period appearance in Baroque style with elements of Empire. The architect was Herman Holmgren, who designed, among other things, the Uppsala University Building.
During the active Johan Sparre's time, the farm flourished. In addition to successful farming, he operated a brickyard and a dairy. He had the bakery built which became known for the good Brolimpa and sat on the board of the electricity distribution association. Johan Sparre died childless.
In 1938, his sister's granddaughter Ebba Reuterskiöld, née von Rosen, inherited Brogård. Ebba was married to Baron Carl Reuterskiöld.
In 1968, Ebba Reuterskiöld sold Brogård to KF, which in turn leased the property to the next generation of Reuterskiöld.
KF's plans at the time were to build a central warehouse and establish food industries. The plans were changed and only the central warehouse became a reality.
From 1968 to 2001, the farm suffered from a lack of maintenance and was in poor condition.
In 2002, the farm was sold to Björn Örås.
In 2004, Upplands-Bro municipality decided on a new detailed plan which meant that a new business could be started at Bro Gård. Bro Gård was renamed Bro Hof Slott to operate a golf course as well as hotel and conference operations.
In 2006 the Stadium Course opened
In 2009 the Castle Course opened
In 2010-2013 and 2016, the European Tour competition Nordea Masters was played.